Alpenglow Adventure Sports, founded in 1986, is a division of Acadia Mountain Guides, Inc. Alpenglow operates retail stores in Orono and Bar Harbor, ME, and on-line at Alpenglowgear.com.
Alpenglow is a true outdoor and mountaineering store that maintains the flavor and tradition of a classic mountain shop run by active alpinists and outdoor enthusiasts. We sell what we know and we want shopping to be fun and educational.
2019 Orono Staff
Fall 2019 Season
Complete our application and return electronically with a letter of interest to Amanda Hatley (firstname.lastname@example.org). After receiving your application, we will evaluate it. We will contact you for an interview as applications come in. We will be deciding on staff by end of December.
Always Looking for Applicants:
Outdoor Equipment Sales Associate
Alpenglow Adventure Sports is seeking energetic, out-going and self starting individuals with a knowledge of outdoor gear to work in retail locations in Orono and Bar Harbor, ME. The position involves retail sales and climbing school reservations.
- Primary responsibility is customer interaction and sales in a retail store environment.
- Represents Alpenglow Adventure Sports and Acadia Mountain Guides to the general public with superior service.
- Answers phone and email, processes internet and phone mail orders, processes climbing school reservations.
- Continually develops expert product knowledge and marketing ideas for all product lines.
- Responds to client inquiries and processes reservations.
- Posts and removes products from on-line store.
- Organizes and cleans retail sales floor, prepares merchandising displays, creates labels.
- Processes incoming inventory, prepares ASAP inventory orders, purchase orders.
- Evaluate and suggest new merchandise and product categories.
- Operates POS system and cash register: processes sales, client data, prepares daily cash ups.
- Monitors and maintains familiarity with all written, published and website materials.
- Maintain fresh appearance and cleanliness of store and organizes merchandise displays.
- Stocks forms and brochures (special orders, shop evaluations, gift certificates, consignment, guiding forms, etc.
- Acts on additional directives from managers.
- Promotes the vision and mission of the corporation.
Location / Availability
Applications are always welcome for part time and full time positions in Orono and Bar Harbor, Maine.
Requires excellent people skills, solid organizational skills, and an ability to work independently without a supervisor present. A knowledge of outdoor activities, particularly rock and ice climbing, and outdoor equipment or a willingness to rapidly learn is required. Knowledge of local climbing, hiking and paddling helpful. The characteristics we seek are:
- Superior organizational, memory and attention to detail skills.
- Solid outdoor product knowledge and retail experience that is customer service-oriented and sales driven.
- Enjoys and is able to work independently and without regular supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with various audiences.
- Proficient spelling and grammar in order to write product descriptions.
- Performance demonstrating on the job initiative and innovation. Enjoy solving small problems.
- Productive work methods and sound judgment while multi-tasking.
- Ability to work flexible hours (primarily 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Mon - Sat).
- Must be available for all major holidays and school break periods.
- Comfortable with operating computer system to include point of sale system, MS Word, Excel, and Internet.
Wage range: $12.00 - 15.00 / hour plus access to pro-purchase and course discounts.
- A great opportunity to work for a grassroots organization that has been a consistent early adopter and supporter of high standards since our inception.
- A chance to spend the summer in beautiful Acadia National Park where “the mountains meet the sea.” Super easy access to climbing, hiking, kayak, biking and running.
- An opportunity to work with and learn from a great group of guides and climbing instructors.
- Eligible for end of season profit sharing bonus.
- Big discounts on climbing and professional courses.
- Opportunities to shadow field courses (rock or ice climbing, winter camping / mountaineering, wilderness medicine, avalanche as season allows).
- Access to pro deals from dozens of outdoor companies and 30% off all in-store purchases.
Complete our application and return electronically with a letter of interest and resume to Amanda Hatley (email@example.com). After receiving your application, we will evaluate it. We will contact you for an interview if we have positions available at the moment. We keep applications on file for six months.